Saturday, May 29, 2010

PG City Fireman's Breakfast

Around the first weekend in May Kyle gets very excited about the annual Fireman’s Breakfast in Pleasant Grove. That is when they put the big banner across the front of the fire station announcing the event. Every day as we pass the station, either to or from daycare, Kyle has to ask “are we going to go see Mokey mom?”

We have tried to go every year that we have lived in PG. The kids enjoy going and seeing the inside of the station and sitting in the trucks. Kyle has made huge leaps over past years when it comes to seeing Smokey the Bear. Last year he was not asking if we were going to see smoky, he would ask questions like “Mom, do’s Mokey hab teef?” I guess teeth means you mean, because that was Kyle’s way of finding out if Smokey would bite him.

This year the boys were with Donovan the weekend of the Breakfast. They invited Alexis and me along so we met them there. I can’t recall in all the years we have gone being able to eat my whole breakfast, or eating it while it is warm. I am typically trying to feed someone little and keeping them nearby as they take in the excitement of the fireman preparing the food, the sound of the siren going off every 15 minutes and Smokey walking around saying hi to all the kids. This year was no different. I am glad we I was able to go and share in this moment with the kids.

This past year the station purchased a new truck that is simply any man’s dream toy! The Pierce Manufacturing truck is custom-made and was designed according to the PG firefighter specifications to meet city needs. The truck was $927,000 and an additional $100,000 in equipment was added to outfit the truck. Oh and I asked, no it doesn’t have a stereo, DVD player or any other type of entertainment sound system. If your gonna have an expensive ride you’d think it would have quality sound! But it has plenty of fun gadgets, knobs and buttons to make up for it!

No comments:

Add other items