
1. They had to have valid Identification Cards. Good thing I have that nanny again. To get an ID card you need proof that you are who you say you are (i.e. birth certificate, social security card) and that you have a permanent residence within the state of Utah (TWO pieces of mail with your name and address on it.) After several hours of lines, waiting, told about the mail, looking for mail, returning, waiting… they finally got their IDs. (THANK YOU BECKY!)
2. I had to drive them to the Airport. Britt was so nervous the entire ride that she talked NON STOP. It went something like this “Oh MOM, did I tell you… blah blah blah… OH LOOK that sign has that lady that lived with monkeys in the wild, I learned about her in school... blah blah blah… Know What?! Umm... well the other day… blah blah” It was painful. I actually turned to Court at one point and told her “I am sorry; you have to sit by her on the plane too.”
3. Check in. Delta requires that all minors under a certain age are required to have an adult supervise them. First you fill out a form that states that if the receiving party is NOT at the gate when they arrive at their destination then they will be returned at my expense. I t also says that I am not to leave the gated area of departure until the plane has left the ground. Ok, understood. Better to be safe, I am fine with that. (I called Donovan and threatened him and told him he BETTER be there!!)
4. You pay more for Minors flying alone. Delta requires an additional $100 at the gate so that the minor(s) get seated near the front where they will be monitored by a stewardess and be escorted on and off the plain first. Britt though that meant she got to sit in First Class, she was disappointed when I explained that she did not get First Class seats.
5. Going through security. Court was very prepared for her flight. Her carry on contained a small stash of in flight snacks which included marshmallows and licorice. Apparently when looking at the baggies filled with these two items on a black and white screen as they went through the x-ray machine it looked questionable. After several guards were called over to “review” what they saw on the screen we were asked to step aside to the secure area. Courts bag was slowly emptied, all while Courtney was feeling confused and nervous not knowing why HER bag was under so much suspicion. When the security officer pulled out the food items he had a small laugh to himself, strolled back over to the x-ray tech and confirmed with the other guards that it was indeed Marshmallows and Red Vine Licorice that they were looking at. We repacked the back pack and were sent on our way.
6. Getting to the gate. First you pass a Cinnabon, they smelled divine. Then you get on the walking, escalator, moving floor, thing that Britt thought was so COOL! Then you pass another Cinnabon and then you get to their gate. We found a spot to sit, and THEN they decided they were hungry and wanted something to eat… I bet you can guess what they wanted. Yep, overpriced Cinnabon.
7. Waiting. While waiting for the flight Britt continued to talk and talk and talk. Court sat quietly, occasionally making a comment about another passenger or person in the airport. I read my book and updated Facebook on the status of the morning. Before you knew it the girls were called by name to board the plane first (that extra $100 being put to good use) and Britt had a look of panic. No turning back now.
Their first solo flight. I hear Britt figured out the in-flight TV options and had them mastered before they were half way there; that kept her from talking the whole flight. Donovan was waiting for them when they arrived and flew home with then a few days later. I hear they had a great time.
2 comments:
I had to do a similar thing with my kids when they were younger (youngest was 8) complete with ID cards. They flew to Alaska, and had a 2 hour stop over in Minnesota!
they loved it! the airline spoiled them clean rotten. (And because their father was behind on child support, he paid the entire flight and fees)
Hope your girls had a great time.
Sounds like they had so much fun. What a great trip for them both. Fun!
Post a Comment