Thursday, October 22, 2009

Looking Back at Summer: Part 3, July

One of my favorite parts of July is the 4th of July activities. Family, food, hot air balloons, neighborhood water fight, and the fireworks. So since it was not my holiday to have the kids... I started out bummed and slightly depressed about the holiday. I quickly got over it and made the best of it by taking Alexis and Cameron to see the hot air balloons in Provo. Even though it is crazy to find parking and to get around with all the people, it sure is fun to watch the balloons lift off it was a good start to a fun day. To fill my family need we hung out with Tracy and Randy, for food we went to Tempanyaki for Susi (ya, I know, so NOT a patriotic meal) and to top off the evening we walked over to Grovecrest Elementary and watched the worlds shortest firework display. In the brief 30 minutes or less Tracy did manage to get some really cool pictures. Overall not a bad day. Courtney turned 13 on the 7th. We never did get a birthday picture of her... still need to do that. For her birthday she asked for only money.. exactly enough to go to the Christa Mc Auliffe Space Education Center, I am not sure why they call it that, it is more like "Star Trek Camp for Kids." Courtney loves this place, and getting to go with some close friends on a 5 hour mission was a blast for her. Alexis had another one of those spiritual moments when she was asked to help as a chaperone for a Special needs Girls Camp in Heber. Alexis was extremely excited for this opportunity and came back with a lot of fun stories about the girl she was paired with who, in her words, was piratically a celebrity.
Alexis's spiritual summer did not end there, she and Courtney also attended the Ward Girls Summer camp together, and the same week they were gone Brittany attend Clear Creek.
I remember when I was in 5th grade and went to Clear Creek, I came home exhausted, not Brittany she had such a great time she did not stop talking for a good 2 hours about all of the places she went and things they did, my theory is that they must be going much easier on the kids these days... or she has WAY more energy than I did at that age.
In July Modus decided that they could no longer support the "Take a Break Club" and we had 30 days to use all of our funds and end the club. It was a little bitter sweet for me, I have been either a member of the committee or the President for at least 9 years, if not more. We had a pool party at the new Lindon City pool, that was a lot of fun. They have a Flow Rider that many of the adults tried. The evening was cool but beautiful for a July evening. We also had a final bon voyage lunch for all of the members and gave them all a $100 gift card as a token of our appreciation... and to use all of the funds we had spent years building up and maintaining.
In addition to all of this, to make up for missing the Strawberry Days Rodeo we went to the Spanish Fork Rodeo with my mom, aunt Chris and Isabella. Looking back, July was a full month.

No comments:

Add other items