Thank you to everyone that commented on my prior post “That’s what Child Support Is For!” I knew I would get many responses. For the record I believe that child support is to support children in their home to maintain the same standard of living that they were accustom to prior to the separation. That includes cost associated with the home (heat, electrical, water, etc.) food and the children’s personal needs such as clothing and other items. I want to point out I indicated in their home. I feel that the non custodial parent should have basics available for his children when they are in their care.
One of the comments left by Anonymous said this… “Maybe you asked the wrong question... If the non custodial parent is paying child support - do they need to pay for anything else when the child is with them? Like clothing, diapers, formula etc. Or does the payment of child support mean that the custodial parent then has to provide EVERYTHING for the child?”
I think this is a very good question. I like the comment left in the prior post “I don't see you asking for packed lunches and dinners and toilet paper for the older kids, why should formula and diapers be any different.” These items are all consumables, they are things that are being used in the non custodian’s home, not in the primary residence of the child, why should child support cover those expenses when the non custodial parent is capable of providing those items?
Let me tell you what I am doing and you tell me if you think I am being too difficult.
I am currently letting my older children take their own clothing, toys, etc, to and from their dad’s house as they desire. No restrictions, regardless of who purchased it. They are old enough to take care of their own things and they are responsible for their own items.
I recently stopped providing clothing for my 2 year old. Why you ask? My 2 year old is not old enough to be responsible for his things, if he is eating chocolate ice cream in his new shirt and he is not told to put on a bib, he won’t, and he won’t care how much chocolate will stain his clothing. He can’t pack his own things and I don’t like packing clothing and not getting everything back, one shirt showed back up after missing for almost a year. On one occasion I picked up my son after he had stayed at his dad’s house late and his dad was kind enough to give him a bath, but I was handed a child wrapped in a blanket with only a diaper on, in the winter, because he did not have an extra set of pajamas or clothes. I don’t think that is right. I understand that children grow and that they may not get the use out of an outfit that was purchased for them, so if money is an issue then don’t buy the name brands. When my son is old enough to care what he is wearing, and to care for his things I will not have a problem with him taking his own clothing to his dad’s house. But until then I believe that his dad has a responsibility to care for him and his needs.
Right now when the ex spends a few hours with the baby, I do provide formula, diapers and extra clothing, toys, etc. I do this because he is not regularly visiting with him and I don’t have a problem with providing him these things for such short visits. When he starts seeing him regularly I do expect that he provide the all of these items.
So you tell me, am I being mean, difficult or an all around B-word for expecting that non custodial parents should be responsible for providing the basic needs of their children while they are in their care?
7 comments:
I have absolutely no personal experience with this, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. Why in the heck would you (as a parent), regardless of residence not have a spare change of clothes for your child? Even if you did send 4 outfits, I happen to have a little experience with 2 year olds, and they could go through those clothes in 4 minutes.
Child support is exactly what it says. Support for the child. Where ever that money is needed for the well-being of the child, that money should be spent. Period, the end. Does that absolve anyone of maintaining the same standard at another residence? Absolutely not. And when you don't, all that does is make you look like an ignorant fool that is too selfish to provide anymore than the court said you had to. SELFISH, SELFISH, SELFISH.
Sorry for the diatribe, but I have watched you go through this with dignity and grace. You have weathered the storm and been stronger for your efforts. For all you have done for your children (and your ex), you should be rewarded (and I think Heavenly Father has a good handle on that). Unfortunately, someone else has made a choice to be bitter and broken and take it out on you. For that I am sorry.
But as an outsider looking in...I think you are amazing and gifted in ways the rest of us can only dream of.
Lore,
I don't know you but in somes ways I do. I see you through Jennifer's eyes and what I see is a graceful woman doing a great job in her life despite the speed bumps in her way. My heart goes out to you and if I could lift your burden I would.
You are not wrong! The support is for your children in their life and in your care. When they are with their father then he needs to provide from them and their needs. JenniferS mother didn't even use the support I paid to take care of our children in her care. I often paid out twice or three times to keep socks, underwear, toothbrushes with them at their mothers home and at mine and again at their mothers when she would throw away some of their things. And that was often. Sickness, hate and evil go a long way with some people. She would even drive over to my apt. or home to get a diet soda or a bandaid because it was a medical expense and she didn't have to pay it. One sick individual!
Papa needs to provide their needs while they are with him without second thought no matter how tough and you need to stick to your guns. The support is to, just as you say, provide for them in a manner befiting their former state.
Hang in there girl (gril--ask Jennifer)
Daddy
So I have to agree with Heffalumps and Woozles. Lore you are an amazing parent and person, those kids are lucky to have such a great mother. It is sad that a parent would be so juvenile over providing things for his children. Not necessarily even nice things just the basics. He has been blessed with these little miracles and instead of being thankful he chooses to complain about money? Whatever!! One last thing, there is this new invention that I ran across that you may want to tell your ex about. It is called a “Washing Machine”. So no matter how many or how few outfits that you send, if you use this great invention the child will always have cloths to wear out in the cold. Oh but that is right the water is covered in the child support and that is at your house not his. I thought that I was on to something for a second!!!
As my experience goes as living with the non custodial parent; as the (step other). You could not tell that they only lived there on the weekends. They were provided their own living areas, clothes, and any other needs that were it need of with or without us. Yes, I said without us many of the thing that were purchased would make it to their mother's house never to been seen again. That is in the beginning that really bothered me. Then I saw that it their safety it was not worth the tearing and stress that it brought to their lives. I have learned it was better to let go. It is about the children it is hard enough knowing about the back and forth. Not to be fighting over children’s needs. It was adult choose, it is now time to "pay" the consenquitences to what your choices were chose not the children. It does not get easier as they older in some was it is harder they start to understand. Lore don’t you dare feel an ounce of guilt for fighting them to have a good life and as normal as possible.
Would it help if I brought some clothes Treyson has outgrown & they could just stay at Dad's? :) Let me know. Packing & unpacking is such a chore. Most of the kids who I've known who've had regular visits with a non-custodial have had seperate clothes, toys, toothbrush, blanket, etc at the house. Then they don't have to pack & unpack their own things. They have their own things at each home. What a bother. I'm so sorry you & your kids have to go through this mess.
I am living with someone that has 2 little ones, 3 and 6, that come and stay with us about 60% of the time. I told the mom not to pack clothes and I went to Kid to Kid and bought them clothes to stay at our house and I continue to buy them clothes and diapers and toys and such. It is not your responsibility as a mother to pack a bag and make sure they have all of their needed items at HIS home. He should have toothbrushes, jammies, beds, clothing just like they have those items at your house. The kids are NOT on vacation. You should not have to send them their basic nessecities. He should have that. If you have old clothes or clothes that they don't wear I would probably send them things to start with but you don't need to send them and then wash them when he puts them back into the bag you sent them in dirty. Just my two cents.
Keep your corners up.
Christine
Like Heffalumps and Woozles, I have no personal experience with this unfortunate dilemma in your life. I am starting to see now why people say that when a family is torn apart through a divorce that the children are the ones that suffer the most. Sounds to me like dad needs to grow up, forget about himself, and commit to the implied consent of care and well being for "HIS" child(ren). This implied consent is entered into upon the "choice" that all parents have upon the conception of that child.
Lori, it sounds like you are doing the best that you can with the means that you have available. Keep putting your children's needs first and they will some day recognize your efforts.
Post a Comment