Back in December I posted a Blog that included my New Year’s resolution for 2009. I said “…to show more love to those around me through service, support, and by making myself available to them when they need me.” I thought that this was appropriate considering the amount of support I have received from friends and family over the past year.
There were several comments regarding the post then one showed up that read:
Anonymous said...
Speaking of service... have you ever thought what might come by serving those to whom you would consider impossible to serve?
Interesting, after thinking about it, I thought who can’t be served? So I replied with “Serving those that are in need of service is never difficult or impossible. It is only impossible to serve those that are self serving.”
This was where the comments took an interesting twist. Anonymous replied and the readers of that comment took it as if I was being slammed by asking what I felt comes from providing service. My great friend went in for my defense and made not one but two comments. She also called me and warned me about them apparently Anonymous was keeping her up that night because she was so upset that someone would question my ability to serve.
Recently Anonymous showed up again stating “I am simple person looking for peace and I have heard that serving others brings this peace…” but still the theme of serving the impossible is there, not just serving others.
So, Anonymous, you can find peace in providing service to others, not just the impossible, unless you feel the need to serve someone that YOU yourself find impossible to serve.
Service is more that provide a plate of cookies or a meal to someone in need. It is more than anything physical you can do for them. It comes from the inside, a willingness to share of your self and to let the person receiving feel that they are cared for.
If you want to know what I have done to serve others, as you asked in your comment, then let me share. But the first thing you need to know is that when you provide true service to others you are not looking for anything in return, and you do it from your heart.
My Family: I have put everything aside to help my grandparents when they need me. Including sitting in a hospital for hours until I know that everything is ok and that there is nothing left I can do for them. I offered my home to my sister when she needed a place to live. I tell my children I love them each day.
My Friends: I offer a listening ear and support to coworkers going through difficult times in their life. I provide a ride to my best friend’s husband so he won’t need to walk all the way home. I smile and wave at passing neighbors.
Strangers: I do random acts like paying for the food for a gentleman and his daughter in the car behind me at a drive up just because they made me smile. I complemented the cashier at the grocery store because they look like they were having a long day.
I share these things not to toot my own horn, but simply because you asked what I have done. There are more, but I choose not to write about them because they were personal to the individual and like I said, when you are doing service for others you are not looking for anything in return.
So Anonymous, if this did not help you and you are still fixed on serving the “impossible to serve”, maybe you need to take a closer look at your reason for serving others, and stop focusing on who you are serving. Because if you are “Simply looking for peace in this world so full of hate and disaccord” that starts from inside you. Hopefully through your actions and how you treat others you will find what you are looking for.
4 comments:
Oh My, I just had to go back and read the 17 comments on the post you were refering to in this post. Wow! That was a little wierd. I think I must have blonde roots or something because I didn't get what annonoymous was saying at all. Went right over.
This is Brent, I thought it was time I put in my two cents on this:
Anonymous, you would do well to rethink your position. Since you are responding as anonymous, I am sure you are afraid of what people will say if you put your name to your posts. If, you were a person of honor and integrity and meant no ill will, you would have placed your name to your writings.
Your thinking is flawed in regards to service. I would suggest some serious research in some common religious reading material. If you need the references I would be happy to oblige. Service is given freely to those in need, that need is not determined by a person wanting to receive service, if you are wanting to receive service and you actually think you are deserving then you are self centered and self righteous and self serving. Which means you are not in need, since you are obviously, delivering your own service.
You would do well to remember that when you are in the service of others you are in the service of your GOD. I believe the verse says: when you serve the least of these, my brethren you are serving me. You should be the one looking to serve; the humility would do you good. Your assault on Lore's resolution is in poor taste and uncalled for.
Though you would like to think yourself better than the rest of us, you would do well reconsider. If I saw you stranded on the side of the road I would stop to help. If Lore saw you stranded oh the road, I have no doubt she would stop also. You, I am afraid, you are most likely not one to stop to help any one unless it meant you were receiving something in return.
I too, had to go back and read the comments because I was an early 'commenter' and missed the entire thing.
While I agree this was a thinly veiled negative attack, I think that at the end of the day it speaks incredibly highly of your integrity.
Those that have issues within their own lives (that they aren't willing to address quite yet), tend to project their own insecurities on those that are stronger than they are.
After reading all of the comments, I didn't feel anger or malice about how you were treated, but sorrow for the writer. I hope Anonymous can see the gift of compassion you gave. What better example of love towards your fellow man can be offered, than to listen to someone who is obviously struggling with their own life. Even after listening (reading), you took it a step further and turned it into a learning experience.
Again, thank you for your example and friendship. I am always edified and strengthened by your works.
Anonymous makes no sense. They might want to have their head examined.
Post a Comment