My (Uncle, more on this another day) grandpa passed away this past Sunday and even though it was expected and I was able to see him before he died it is still very hard. I know that he is in a better place and that he is at peace, but I will miss him.
My strongest memory of grandpa will always have to do with how much he loved grandma. I admired their love more than any thing. He was so kind when it came to her, for a man that could appear to be so firm and rough. His love was so strong and it was apparent with every gesture he had towards her, from holding her hand to cutting her food to telling stories about when he brought her to the states. Every action was filled with the love he had for her.
Even though grandma lost her sight quite a few years ago he did not let that get her down, he took her grocery shopping and told me once “I just make her hold onto the cart and I pull…” Once I stopped by their house and he was working in the back yard planting flowers, grandpa would dig a hole and hand grandma a six pack and tell her to “get going…”
I took grandpa to the hospital several times, and each time he would tell me “you take care of her, you hear!” with a firm voice and a tear in his eye. She meant everything to him.
In his neighborhood grandpa will always be remembered for his landscaping. He always had such incredible flowerbeds filled with tulips in the spring and roses throughout the summer. The yard was manicured perfectly, not a weed in the flowerbeds and the roses always trimmed with precision. When my mom and I picked out flowers this past week we both knew it had to have roses in it, and I insisted on tulips too. We found something close and modified it to meet our idea of the perfect bouquet.
As I look back at the memories I have, the one that stands out the most was when my mom and I lived with my grandparents for a year while my dad was serving over seas. We were playing a game of UNO and I was sitting next to him. I kept giving him skip cards, and draw cards and basically not letting him have a turn. Out of frustration, he threw the cards across the table, called me a little shit and told me he would never play with me again. I always look back at that and kind of laugh inside to think a 10 year old could get him that mad while playing a card game. Know what, now that I look back I don’t think he ever did play cards with me again.
Other memories I have are of him with his pipe, the smell of the sweet tobacco in the air. The suspenders that kept his pants on. Visiting him at Barbizon and having him take me back to the duck pond. His dice tattoo that he said was one of the dumb things he did. The potato salad that I loved that he would secretly make in the kitchen while everyone else was hanging out outside, never wanting to share the recipe. And the way he always gave me a kiss and told me he loved me, every time we parted.
Grandpa, I will miss you. I love you and I look forward to the day we can see each other again.
His obituary read as follows:
LaMar Burningham, age 78, passed away February 15, 2009. He was born June 28, 1930 in Orem, Utah, a son of Clifford L. and Sarah Clayson Burningham. He married Josefa Haunreiter on February 21, 1953 in Regensburg, Germany. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Provo LDS Temple.LaMar grew up in Orem.
He served his country honorably in the US Army, serving in Germany, Vietnam, Korea and also several state side tours of duty. He retired from active duty in 1969. LaMar was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He served in many callings throughout his life some of his favorites being, a faithful Home Teacher in the Cherry Hill 3rd Ward and a High Priest Group Leader.
Survivors include his wife Josefa, his children: Hannah Burningham, Edward Burningham, Christina Delgado. He is also survived by 8 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, his brother Leland Burningham and his sister Betty Oscarson.
The family would like to thank Vista Care Hospice for their wonderful care.
Funeral services will be held Friday, February 20, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. in the Cherry Hill 3rd Ward Chapel, 1650 South 200 East, Orem. Friends may call one hour prior to the services at the ward chapel. Interment will be in the Orem City Cemetery with military rites provided by VFW District #4. Services under the direction of Sundberg-Olpin Mortuary.
5 comments:
I am so sorry Lore, I know it has been a tough year for you. I loved their wedding picture, theirs is a wonderful love story that can inspire anyone thanks for sharing it.
You and your family are in my heart, thoughts, and prayers. Thank you for sharing such beautiful memories of someone so close to you. It was truly beautiful.
It sounds like you were really close to your grandfather. Thanks for sharing the sweet stories. Even the card game.
I think it's these special memories that stick with us and help us through these times. I'm so sorry for you loss and will be keeping you in my heart and thoughts as well.
That is such a sweet story about your grandparents! I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart and prayers are with you today!
Post a Comment