Monday, June 16, 2008

Flying the friendly skies!


Let me start by telling you that I had my driver’s license renewed. The last time I had my picture taken for a license was the day before I had Courtney, almost 13 years ago. The Utah driver’s license has changed and well I could no longer get the little sticker for the back to extend the expiration date. So two days before it expired I went to get it renewed. The new “digital” license can take up to a few weeks to be mailed so in the mean time they give you a paper copy of the license to use.
Fast forward to a week later, I flew to California with my boss, to meet with my client in San Jose for a quarterly business review (QBR). The actual meeting lasts about 45 minutes; the rest of the time is all about PR.
Going through Salt Lake International was a breeze, the lines were not bad, the e-ticket counter is easy to get to and use, and the line for security moved quickly. I hand the security agent my ticket and my “paper drivers license” and with out even a flinch he lets me through, he has obviously see one of these before.
The following day for our return flight out of San Francisco Airport (SFO) I am expecting nothing less than the easy process we had in SLC, with the exception that the airport is 5 times as big and has 20 times more people (slightly exaggerated).
Getting our e-ticket, pain in the butt! It was a long line that took forever with Nazi women directing traffic to the open terminals. Security was questionable. After patiently standing in a super long line, I get to the security agent, hand him my e-ticket and my paper drivers license, he then turns to the “head of security” and asks if he has ever seen anything like this and asks if it is real (obviously not from Utah). The more qualified security agent then asks me for another form of identification. I have a credit card, I show him, “anything else?” he asks.. umm a Costco card, I pull it out to show him, and because it had a digital image of me on the back that was good enough. He says “That works, your good to go” and lets me go through the gates… a COSTCO CARD?! This is our improved national airport security?
All Costco members welcome to the friendly skies!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'll remember to keep my costco card handy just in case. funny.

Add other items