Friday, June 20, 2008

Strawberry Days Rodeo

You can’t live in Pleasant Grove and not participate in something to do with Strawberry Days unless you’re a hermit or you moved in with your sister and you’re not a real Pleasant Grove resident. (Still love you sissy!)
For my family we stopped doing the carnival, someone always gets sick and it is way to expensive and to be honest the carnies kinda freak me out and it brings out the scary people in town. The parade is way too early in the morning, and I have no desire to stake out my spot along a road two days before. So that leaves us with the rodeo.

So first let me start with the pitch for the PG rodeo right off the city web site:
“The Pleasant Grove Strawberry Days Rodeo is one of the very best professional rodeos in the West. Nationally ranked cowboys from all over the United States participate in the four nights of the rodeo. Specialty shows and events are included, along with the popular bull riding, steer wrestling, saddle bronc riding, bare back riding, calf roping, barrel racing, wild cow milking contest, and much more.”
Last night was family night at the rodeo, kids under 10 get in free, this is not as cool as it was when my kids were little but I only had to pay for 3 out of five, not that bad, but that meant everyone with kids in town was going to be there, and they were.

My friend Melanie went early and had a perfect spot staked out on the bleachers. With an hour to kill before it started we had “dinner”, hamburgers, nachos and the first round of strawberries and cream. Kyle and I walked around and looked at the bulls, cows and horses. Kyle was more impressed with the tractor that was circling the arena making the dirt look good.

When the rodeo got started Kyle was 100% impressed he was clapping and bouncing to the music most of the evening. I tried to teach him to say “Oh-no” when someone was bucked off, he translated that to a “NO-NO!” as he scowled and shook his finger at them. So we had to change it to “dang-it.” When the team roping came out and the announcer said “get-er done!” we decided that is what we needed to teach him to say, but Kyle was not going for it.

The “entertainment” portion of the evening was two motocross riders doing jumps in the arena. I am not sure when motocross and rodeos teamed up but this is the third time I have seen a motorcycle act at a rodeo. Kinda weird, but they were good and had Courtney covering her mouth and turning away several times as they did their jumps.

The wild cow milking was one of the highlights of the evening. Last night was no exception, one guy grabbed the neck of a cow and was dragged across the length of the arena, didn’t slow the cow down but it made for a good laugh for the crowd. Personally I don’t see what the enjoyment of actually participating in something like this would be, but it sure is fun to watch!

Over all it was a good night. There was an arena record broken for team roping, none of the participants were hurt, (except that guy that sat by us that did the wild cow milking contest, he was limping the rest of the night), the second round of strawberries and cream were as good as the first, and the kids had a great time.

My mom had planned on going with us but was not able to make it and my aunt Chris is in town from California and they decided they want to go. I guess I will go again tonight, you don't have to twist my arm, who can resist being surrounded by good-looking cowboys in tight jeans?


If you ask Kyle how a cow gives a kiss, this is what you get.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like fun. Were planning on going to the Lehi Roundup next week. But, shoot if I knew that PG had a kids night we would have done that for sure.

Kristy said...

I LOVE THE RODEOS!! We go to the one in Spanish Fork every year. My favorite is the rodeo clown and the horse that does tricks. He really is amazing!! I want a horse that does tricks!! haha.

Laura said...

I was looking at your blog with my kids and Braxton said, "hey Mom that's Kyle". He got excited to see him. What cute pics you got at the rodeo. Except um maybe you could get Kyle a different color cowboy hat.

Lore said...

-Side note, the pink hat is Brittany's, but Kyle kept stealing it all night.

Add other items