Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bloggers Block

It appears as I sift through my fellow blog wars buddies that there is an apparent problem that is spreading throughout the group, Bloggers Block.

Its ok, it happens to all of us from time to time. I have had my own case and I felt that I needed to help all of you that are out there in a funk and can’t think of anything to blog about. I have compiled a list (with the help of several other blog sites) that should help you get the creative juices rolling.

1. Keep track of your ideas. If you are like me at least once daily you have that moment when you think, I should blog about that, but then you never get around to it, and by the time you have a spare minute to write you have forgotten it. So write it down. Keep a notebook of ideas; you don’t have to blog them all but at least when in a pinch you can refer back.

2. Read past posts. Sometimes reading things you have or others have written in the past will spark an idea.

3. Have a goal. Set a deadline or minimum number of blogs you what to post in a given week/month and stick to it! I mean seriously here I have a desk job and I need something to do when I have down time.

4. Change the type of posts that you write. Not sure what to write about here are a list of options:
a. Write a review. Review that book your reading or the last movie or TV show you saw. How about a restaurant or recipe. I have to say my sissy is very good at this type of blog post.
b. Rant. Pull out all of the stops and just let it out. Be passionate, stir yourself up (and sometimes someone else too), say what’s on your mind and tell it like it is. If you write it in the heat of the moment keep in mind that things that you say may later come back at you.
c. Interviews. When you can’t think of anything to write ask someone else a few questions and record their answers, this is especially fun with kids.
d. Lists. This is an easy one, and if it has worked for David Letterman all these years then it should be a hit on your blog. Write a post with content like ‘The Top Ten reasons why….’, ‘My 4 Favorite ….’, ‘My Bucket list’ or what ever comes to mind. The best part is you have a simple idea and with each point you can add a sentence or two and you have a great post in no time, just look at how long this one is getting.
e. Blog Tag. When all else fails post that list of get to know you questions that someone tagged you with, or what ever other tag you have attacked by. Why not make up your own tag and tag your friends.

5. Change your blog background. Just like when you get a new outfit you feel confidant and happy, sometimes your blog needs a change too. This alone may make you want to blog about something fun and upbeat

6. Allocate your time. Get off of Facebook, Twitter, Plaxo and any other site that is taking your time away from blogging: oh wait, this is a personal issue.

7. Add images. Take a picture or video of something going on in your life right now. Everyone loves a good picture and you know what they say ‘A picture is worth…” ya, bla bla bla. It gives you the opportunity to share what you are doing with everyone else, and something to blog about!

Your blog misses you; don’t put it aside now, not after everything you have put into it. It has become a little piece of you. I hope that I have planted a few ideas in your mind to help you with that next post. I look forward to seeing the MANY new posts that will be popping up this spring. (That was my best cheesy bit of encouragement!).

4 comments:

Heffalumps and Woozles said...

I will no longer shirk my duty. It is imperative that I brighten the world with my ingenous brand of thinking. THANKS for the nudge. :D

Laura said...

I love blogs. I get bummed when there is no updates. It makes me feel connected with everyone. Thanks for updating yours - it sure has been awhile - and I noticed!

The Ridgeways said...

You crack me up, now lets see if you can take your own advice. I think encourging me to rant is just plain dangerous, lol!

Shamelessly said...

Yep... as I said lately, there has been a startling lack of new and original posts, on my end and everyone else's too!! Maybe its the Spring Fever that has our minds all fogged up. But I for one am glad that today there was a few new ones to read and I even have an idea or two!! SWEET.

Add other items