Monday, March 2, 2009

Blessing Day

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

Cameron Lee Bunker was blessed today. He was given a name that will be on the church records from this day forward. I have been looking forward to this day for a very long time. So long, that I had anticipated it even prior to his birth.

I had very strong feelings about this blessing, I mean VERY strong feelings. I did not want Donovan to give his son this blessing. I felt that way almost from the time I accepted the fact that I was pregnant. Why should he… he walked away from his family, knowing this new life was coming, he was not there when he came into this world, he has not been there every day and night of his life, what relationship does he have with this precious little boy? What gives him the right to bless Cameron?

I looked forward to this day. I spent $60 on a blessing outfit that I felt was perfect. I made plans to have a former home teacher, who has become a good family friend, have the honor of doing the blessing and then I received the phone call, “…wait, Lore…” I am not sure what else was said. I just remember Donovan asking me to wait, and let him do the blessing. I told him I needed to think about it and I would call him back.

Months… months… I had waited for this day, I did not want him part of it! So why was I hesitating, crying and on my knees asking for help? My answer… “ask him why…”

After several days of struggling with the idea of talking to Donovan about this, I broke down and called. Why do you want to do this, I asked. I don’t know if it was his answers as much as it was the feeling I had inside that he needed to do this. So I waited.

Two months have passed, that super cute outfit was too small today, a little short and I had to keep the top snap undone around his neck because it was too tight. But that did not matter.

Donovan gave him a wonderful blessing that I knew he could. When he started, I knew he was supposed to give him this blessing. I felt a wave of comfort that I needed to ease my tension.

Cameron was perfect, not a peep, I believe he too felt the spirit and was comforted; otherwise he would have spit up on him.

After sacrament, Donovan had another family blessing to attend, and asked if the kids could go. Of course they can, they are family.

When I returned home from church to a quiet house, I felt so alone. The stress leading up to this day came pouring out; I just sat down and cried, holding Cameron in my arms. As I cried he started to smile, and I realized that all that mattered today was that he receive a beautiful blessing, and that I am so blessed to have him in my life. We may not have a perfect family, but the love I have for him is more powerful than the loneliness I feel inside.

Today was not easy for me, it was not how I planned it, no pictures were taken to remember who was there or how they looked, there was no family gathering afterwards to celebrate, but in the end, I am a little bit stronger today than I was yesterday.

5 comments:

Heffalumps and Woozles said...

Again and again, you amaze me. What a beautiful example of the spirit touching your life. I struggle, all to often, with the idea of doing something because it's right instead of what I wanted. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing such a personal and difficult moment. I am glad you are beginning to realize (even if it is a little at a time) the strength you possess.

The Sampson Family said...

It was a beautiful blessing. Thanks so much for letting us be there. He is a beautiful baby and from what I heard in the blessing he is going to be a great source of strength for all of your family. Blessings in disguise.

Laura said...

Sorry the twins and I missed the blessing. Jennica just couldn't quit coughing yesterday. It was really bad. In case it was RSV I kept her home. I didn't want to get any of these cute little babies sick.

The Ridgeways said...

"Cameron was perfect, not a peep, I believe he too felt the spirit and was comforted; otherwise he would have spit up on him."

Ok you seriously crack me up. But knowing Cameron the way we do, you soo must be right.

Sometimes its not about having the perfect day but changing our idea of what perfect is. Pefect is having Cameron in our lives.

I feel lucky to be your friend. I am sorry I was not there with you.

Christy said...

You have AMAZING strength! I am happy that you felt comforted and good about this. A lot of experiences will be difficult, but you can make it through. You were so strong to follow the spirit instead of your desires. And, what a blessing for little Cameron to be able to have his Daddy give him the blessing.

Add other items