I have had better years, but not one as interesting as this one.
I went from married to single, a mother of 4 to 5 and a housewife to a working mom and somewhere along the way I discovered the things in life that are really important.
I realized that other people’s free agency can affect your life, but that you choose your own path of happiness.
I learned to accept help from others, even when I thought I could manage on my own.
I discovered that I am far more capable of taking care of myself, my children and the world around me than anyone expected.
I found out that I am smarter than I thought I was, even thought I did not get a degree in college or serve a mission for the church; I can still learn new things each day.
I have gained a greater appreciation for my family, friends, neighbors, coworkers and my father in heaven, because of the love they have shown me.
And in the end I learned that much of what I had discovered was because I put myself in the hands of the lord to help guide me and comfort me through the trials I was facing.
I am glad to put 2008 behind me; I look forward to the many “firsts” that 2009 has to bring. Cameron has a mountain of first to come including his first tooth, first step, and first word. Alexis will be turning 16 and she has her first date and first time driving a car ahead of her. Brittany, Courtney, Kyle and I will have many new first as well.
For 2009 my only New Years Resolution is to show more love to those around me through service, support, and by making myself available to them when they need me. I know that this may sound sappy but I know I can’t keep the weight loss resolution, so I am not even going to try. Feel free to leave a comment as to what your New Years resolution is and how long you expect to keep it.
I hope that the New Year brings much happiness and joy to your life.
I went from married to single, a mother of 4 to 5 and a housewife to a working mom and somewhere along the way I discovered the things in life that are really important.
I realized that other people’s free agency can affect your life, but that you choose your own path of happiness.
I learned to accept help from others, even when I thought I could manage on my own.
I discovered that I am far more capable of taking care of myself, my children and the world around me than anyone expected.
I found out that I am smarter than I thought I was, even thought I did not get a degree in college or serve a mission for the church; I can still learn new things each day.
I have gained a greater appreciation for my family, friends, neighbors, coworkers and my father in heaven, because of the love they have shown me.
And in the end I learned that much of what I had discovered was because I put myself in the hands of the lord to help guide me and comfort me through the trials I was facing.
I am glad to put 2008 behind me; I look forward to the many “firsts” that 2009 has to bring. Cameron has a mountain of first to come including his first tooth, first step, and first word. Alexis will be turning 16 and she has her first date and first time driving a car ahead of her. Brittany, Courtney, Kyle and I will have many new first as well.
For 2009 my only New Years Resolution is to show more love to those around me through service, support, and by making myself available to them when they need me. I know that this may sound sappy but I know I can’t keep the weight loss resolution, so I am not even going to try. Feel free to leave a comment as to what your New Years resolution is and how long you expect to keep it.
I hope that the New Year brings much happiness and joy to your life.
18 comments:
You are awesome. One of my resolutions is to have a better attitude about life. You have been through so much and are still one of the most composed and positive people I know. Like I said - you're awesome.
This is one of the many, many reasons I love you. Your ability to say is straight and help me be more retrospective with my own life is truly one of your gifts to the world. Thank you, for sharing your abilities, talents, and love with those around you. Best wishes, love and joy for the New Year.
I can't think of a better resolution than you stated. Can I copy? I wish for you a New Year filled with wonderful firsts and so much happiness you can hardly stand it! You deserve it.
Great inspirational post. I think I want to be better at serving and helping as well. Hope all is well with Cameron and work.
I love the way you put your thoughts into words. You have a way of expressing yourself. By the way, have you ever thought of writing a book? Maybe a children's story? You are an inspiration to me. Have a very happy 2009!!!!!
Speaking of service... have you ever thought what might come by serving those to whom you would consider impossible to serve?
Anonymous,
Serving those that are in need of service is never difficult or impossible. It is only impossible to serve those that are self serving.
Lore,
Thank you for your response. I believe your answer was more revealing than I thought it would be. So then what is it that you believe comes from providing service?
"Anonymous" can take a flying leap off of a tall building. I don't appreciate the veiled insults towards my friend. Grow up and take ownership for your life. I have never known Lore to not help someone in true need. In fact as I often say she is too nice and lets people take advantage of her. Sounds like you might be exactly the kind of person that takes advantage but then excuses it as their right to do so Mr. "Impossible to Serve".
You know one more thing. . . Lore can and HAS served the "impossible." She finds out a women has had a "relationship" with her husband but when that woman calls Lore's home for help with car trouble for herself and her kids does Lore say, "Go to hell and call someone who cares!" which soooo would have been my response. No she sends her husband to help them. If that isn't serving the "impossible" I don't know what else would better qualify.
Wow, looks like Anonymous has lit a spark in my good friend.
But out of curiosity Anonymous why is “service” the thing you are stuck on? I said “…show more love to those around me through service, support, and by making myself available…” service is only one factor of being a mother, daughter, sister or good friend. Service alone may not be what someone is in need of; that is why I included support and making myself available.
Are you questioning my ability to serve others in the capacity that they may need it or is your definition of serve differs from mine?
Oh and by the way Ridgeways, I did not send my husband to help the stranded woman and her children, I went.
Oh, well that makes it even MORE of a case of serving the "impossible!"
In my book you deserve nothing more than utmost respect and admiration!
Sometimes when people are impossible to serve, they have decided long ago to not keep control of their "trouser snake"
oh my I have to say I like new anonymous person!
Lore,
The question of how to serve someone to whom might seem "impossible to serve" was more for an inquisition of seeing how you do it. You have so many people that speak so highly of your character that I wanted to know how you do it. With everything that you have been through and much of what I have read on your blog appears to be about so many other people and not you. I simply wanted to know how you do it. Your friend "The Ridgeways" seem to be in need of some service themselves since they took my simple question completely out of context and turned me into this self-centered person... and perhaps that is the case and the reason why I asked... "How do you serve someone that you might consider impossible to serve?" But even then, wasn't the original question what would come from the act of serving others… not the service itself? I am simple person looking for peace and I have heard that serving others brings this peace... I just want to know if this is true when serving others that seem impossible to serve. If you ever thought or felt like this question was a "veiled insult" please know that it was never intended as such... and perhaps someday you might understand that about me.
-- Simply looking for peace in this world so full of hate and disaccord.
Service in all things is serving. No one should go out looking for the impossible person to serve; because that person does not exist and if they do. Then my friend you are not serving and you will not find that is what gives you the peace in this world ridding it of hate and contention. It is giving and loving and having. Having only the exception that it will make the world a better place.
Lore thank you for listening to me from someone you have served, and having no exception in helping me.
You are looking good for your goals this year! You are Fabulous!
"Impossible to serve"
Perhaps you should work on being more clear, if you don't want your words taken the wrong way.
I still stand by the fact your statements were "veiled insults" towards someone who does not deserve it no matter what amount of back tracking you want to take.
Also, I find I have no great need of service in my life as I am blessed with many, including Lore who I can turn to if in need and I in turn have many who feel free to turn to me if in need.
But feel free to slam me in your anoniminity, as I have no issue with putting my name to my comments and standing behind my opinions.
This is Brent, I thought it was time I put in my two cents on this:
Anonymous, you would do well to rethink your position. Since you are responding as anonymous, I am sure you are afraid of what people will say if you put your name to your posts. If, you were a person of honor and integrity and meant no ill will, you would have placed your name to your writings.
Your thinking is flawed in regards to service. I would suggest some serious research in some common religious reading material. If you need the references I would be happy to oblige. Service is given freely to those in need, that need is not determined by a person wanting to receive service, if you are wanting to receive service and you actually think you are deserving then you are self centered and self righteous and self serving. Which means you are not in need, since you are obviously, delivering your own service.
You would do well to remember that when you are in the service of others you are in the service of your GOD. I believe the verse says: when you serve the least of these, my brethren you are serving me. You should be the one looking to serve; the humility would do you good. Your assault on Lore's resolution is in poor taste and uncalled for.
Though you would like to think yourself better than the rest of us, you would do well reconsider. If I saw you stranded on the side of the road I would stop to help. If Lore saw you stranded oh the road, I have no doubt she would stop also. You, I am afraid, you are most likely not one to stop to help any one unless it meant you were receiving something in return.
Post a Comment