Thursday, May 22, 2008

Granny B’s Cookies

So for those of you that know me you know I have an issue with that dang Pink Cookie and there is a good reason too, at least I think so.

Back when I was in high school I took a summer job at a local Pizza place that was walking distance from my parent’s house in Orem called Papa de Marcos. I was considered a waitress so I only made $2.50 per hour, because I should get tips. Granted this was back in 1986, but I still thought I was getting robbed because I also cooked and cleaned that place as well. Not only that the “restaurant” only had four tables, from what I remember, and most of our orders were for pick up or delivery, translation NO TIPS.
Our biggest draw was a personal size pizza and 32 oz drink at lunch time, but we did not sell anything sweet. One day Diane Homolik, the owner, brought in a cookie recipe she made growing up. We made a batch and we put them out to sell for 25 cents. They were really good and most of them sold. The next time we made them I suggested using the red food coloring and sprinkles that were on a shelf, both were in large restaurant size containers and what they were doing in a pizza place I was not sure, but she agreed and we used them. As people purchased them they would refer to them as the “Pink Cookie” and so it stuck. Soon we had “The Special”, the personal pizza, drink and pink cookie, and the word got out and we kept pretty busy at lunch time.
The pay sucked, but at the end of the day whoever was working (usually my friends Slade Z. and Sunny H.) would split up the rest of the cookies and we would take them home. Not a bad deal considering that they were dang good, but back then they did not have packaging with the calories printed on them. It is a good thing I had a young high school metabolism because one cookie is considered FOUR SERVINGS each at 113 Calories. I think I ate at least one a day that summer right up until the day I quit. Ya, I said quit, with my dad’s permission.
I don’t recall what the circumstances were around why I quit, but I just remember that my parents were ok with it. I walked in and handed over my white Papa D polo shirt and quit. At the time I though that was a good thing, looking back I kick myself every time I think about walking out of there with out writing down that dang cookie recipe I made every day!
But that is not why I have issues... I have issues because I put the pink in the pink cookie and I don’t even get credit for it!

3 comments:

SuziQ said...

D'oh! I love pink cookies. I'll start paying you a royalty every time I get one, from now on!

D. said...

Yeah, I stopped eating those when I realized they serve four. Who splits those four ways?!?

Laura said...

Lore, Do you know what your having? A boy or a girl? Your 23 weeks so it's time to know. You will have to post as soon as you find out. There is money that is going to be lost or won on this subject.

Add other items