Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Big Give lesson

Just one year ago I would have never imagined this is where I would be now. Last year I attended the Saturday afternoon session of conference for Latter Day Saints with my three girls and my great husband. One of the talks I clearly recall was on divorce, and I thought to myself how lucky I was to get through one divorce and to now be with someone I knew would love me for all eternity. The feeling of being together that day will always be with me. But how quickly things change; with in three months my life went from perfect to broken.


I have been a huge fan of Oprah’s Big Give, the idea behind the show I think is wonderful, and the pay it forward feeling that these people experience is incredible. What amazes me each week is that they have been able to find people in need so easily. For example, last week when Dot-Com boy stopped at a random home only to find a man moving out of his office alone. Where were this mans friends, neighbors, family? Why was he doing this alone? How incredible was it that he stopped at that house at that time.

Each week the show reminds me that no matter how bad it is in my life there is always someone else that has it worse. It is a great way to keep me grounded and to not slide too deep into depression, self pity and sorrow over my issues. I take time to be thankful for the many blessings I do have. My friends and family that have supported me and my girls, the home that we are able to stay in, the job that I need for insurance… the list goes on and on. I have a lot to be thankful for.

So, the Big Give lesson I have learned: Focus on how you can be of service for others, family, friends, neighbors, strangers and your burdens will be lightened (or at least will feel lighter.)

1 comment:

Shamelessly said...

Yeah you can't forget that you have family and friends that love you!! Specially when we call you up and berate you for not answering your phone all day. Way hard to forget after that.

Add other items