Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Photography Class

My bestist friend in the world signed up to take a photography class at UVU with Rex Allen. It is the same one Tracy and I took about a year ago and I was way excited for her. Then I got to thinking, I love Rex (he is an AWESOME teacher!) and I love to spend time with Melanie and Hey- Alexis would like this too… so I signed up Lu and me to join her.

Class was fun, as always. I still hate that photography involves numbers and math; if you know me you know I don’t do numbers! So when he would throw out “math-like” questions Alexis would answer and point out how she got it so fast, sad to say she helped me out with that kind of stuff. When I am shooting I just go to the settings I like based on what I want… apparently there is a mathematical formula that makes it work (I always knew that but did not put too much thought into it, I hate numbers remember.)

My other favorite part about the class is listening to the questions brought up by people who have NO CLUE how to use their equipment and they are sitting there with the top of the line Nikon and a lens that is worth more than all my equipment combined… and I have a few lens’s that are not too shabby. For example:
Blonde Student “Ummm… I got this blinkey light and I think I need to reset my camera, cuz, umm, it won’t go away”
Rex “That is because you’re trying to shoot in a lighting level that your camera can’t do, you just need to change your setting and it will go away. “
Blonde Student “aaaoooo”

Or this is one of my favorites:

Same Blonde Student “Is that the Nikon (Blabla bla bla –I don’t own Nikon so I did not care about the details on the model number) Flash? cuz mine doesn’t swivel to the side like yours!”
Rex “Yes is does.”
Blonde Student “Umm, no it doesn’t”
Rex in a sarcastic tone “You just push this button right here on the side that says PUSH and it will turn.”
Blonde Student “aaaoooo”

Oh and if your said Blonde Student, just because you own a top of the line Nikon and all the lenses that make everyone around you hate you, that does NOT make you a photographer. Buying the best will NOT make you better.

Speaking of that (prepare for a soap box moment), just because you own a Digital SLR camera it does NOT make you a photographer… you take pictures. I do not care if you took the pictures for your friends engagement or a neighbors family pictures in their back yard… you’re NOT a photographer. When you start getting paid over 200 dollars for doing the same thing, then you can call yourself a photographer. And if you are that good and you’re not getting paid then you’re just a person who owns a camera and let’s people take advantage of you.

So if you’re interested in learning more take a class form Rex Allen, owner of the Allen’s Camera stores, he is very high energy, easy to learn form and very personable.

Here are a few of the shots Lu took as part of our weekly assignments that included shutter speed, aperture, portraiture, 20x20 area, unique lighting, macro, and a few others (only a few are shown below.)



This one is actually mine from our 20x20 area assignment, I thought it was kinda cool in a weird wheel on a train in the middle of no where kinda way.

6 comments:

The Ridgeways said...

well, lets not pull any punches there, lol.

Jennifer said...

I'm just gonna add...getting paid $200+ for a photo shoot doesn't make you a photographer if your pictures suck. It just makes your subjects suckers.

Jennifer said...

You know I love Shameless's work though, right? My comment was in no way directed at you. I know you know that, this is just so everyone else doesn't start calling me a "B".

Laura said...

Well said Lore. . . . We all learn differently, but I still believe that just picking up your camera and making yourself shoot in manual is the best bet. Although, classes do help.

ShamelessPhotography said...

Hello we took that class like three and a half years ago... I judge time by your pregnancies and my cruises... Lol.

Its true though. I've met way too many people with amazing expensive gear and either no idea how to use it or just with absolutely no artistic eye at all. A 7000 dollar camera is not only not necessary but its not gonna make your work better if you don't know what you are doing.

Everyone is a photographer these days. Everyone thinks they can take their own pictures just as well as someone who does it for a living. I can't complain really... We all start somewhere. However... Please, PLEASE don't gamble your once in a lifetime moments like engagements, weddings, and newborn shots to your neighbors sister just because she is cheap. You get what you pay for people. You don't get always get do overs.

To anyone who really does want to break in, and trust me its not easy, I'm still working at it everyday, I have three pieces of advice:

1. Know your gear. Which means know how to use your camera. Know what gear you need to get the effects you want. Research, don't just get what that other photographer uses. Maybe that tilt-shift lens isn't economical for you.

2. Work on your photoshop. This can lift your pictures to a new level or kill them. Everyone has their personal style. Develope one, don't try an adopt another photographers look. And most importantly... Don't overdo it.

3. Lastly, PRACTICE!!! Laura was absolutely right when she said to go
out and shoot manual. You have to do this. No one gets comfortable with settings just shooting the same subject the same place once a month. Challenge yourself. Beg people to model for you. I started with my friends, nieces and nephews. The more you shoot the more little tricks you learn and the far and better you wil be!

This is all coming from a girl new to the business... I started doing this a little over a year and a half ago and I can personally say my work has improved by leaps and bounds. I'm still learning. I am self taught in everything. I wish I has taken some workshops from people. The business and workflow side is still a challenge for me. But I'm still practicing and still getting better. I would love to be able to do it solely for a living. I'm really passionate about it and it gives me a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction. If you don't drive around dreaming of new locations or hate the idea of sitting for hours editing youre better off leaving it for a hobby.

Cori Henderson said...

Gotta agree with you! It seems like Utah (or maybe its just Mormon's cause the Mormon's in Texas are the same way) think that just because they have a nice camera they're a photographer. Equipment makes a HUGE difference in the quality of your pictures, only when you've actually figured out how to use it all:)

Add other items