Recently I got into a Face Book discussion with a friend who is a bit of a government conspiracy crusader type (that is about the best way to describe him.) He is a fun to talk to and banter with, when you can keep him off the subject of the government, food storage, preparing for dooms day and anything else related to the end of the world per se; typically that doesn’t last long.
So I asked him this:
June 10 at 3:53pm
(Name withheld) what do you suggest? What do you mean by “collapse”; government, businesses, banks... ? Is this a stock up your food storage kind of thing, load up on ammo; take your money out of banks?What do YOU in all your research, as my expert, what do you suggest to someone like me.. Single, mother of 5 and trying to stay above water?
One question though. How do YOU know that the government isn't doing exactly what they want you to do? Maybe they have planted the seeds for all of the Rush/Beck/Sullivan’s in the world to start warning everyone and making them look like the nutters when nothing happens in 6 months? Because the LAST thing that they want, is for YOU to be right. Just asking. On the other hand, if in 6 or so months, something happens, then Props (name withheld).
I got back a VERY lengthy reply that included suggestions on savings, gardening, purchasing silver, coming together as a community, a nation, and a bunch more speculation on dooms day stuff. Now I am not saying that anything he has said is wrong or false or anything else. So I replied with the following.
June 23 at 4:10pm
(Name withheld) you have to see my point of view, this is going to be very hard for you but try for just a sec.
I have 5 kids, 5...FIVE; the youngest being 18 months old. I hate to imagine him growing up in a world that is full of hate, destruction, and chaos... as true as this may be (and as a reader of a popular religious book, I know that this is the case). To know that I (bold that I), brought them into this mess will be hurt.
No mom... and I mean that, NO mom wants to see their kids suffer.
So that said. I do what I can. I have food storage, as much as we can handle and that will get consumed on a regular basis. I have a meager savings, but if everything crashes and everyone withdraws their money, who is to say I will get it.
I pay my bill as quickly as I get them and try hard to not charge anything, did I mention I have 5 kids.. it is not easy all the time.
I don't have a garden, I actually just grassed the sucker up because I work full time and well have 5 kids with lives that do NOT include gardening and I am just too tired at the end of the day to yell at them to do it.
I agree with you that we need to work together and bond as neighbors and communities, that is why I am in an awesome neighborhood (some call it a WARD) that watches each other’s backs and we do just that, we all support one another in all times of need. This is the very least of my worries, as it is covered.
I would not doubt that there will be something as big as 911 again. With the current government that is in place and the brains of our president I am sure that SOMETHING is in the works SOMEWHERE and that SOMEONE will get blamed for it. Last year it was the Swine Flu, this year the flu that was going to kill off half of the population is no longer a threat. There is always something. Do I have to worry about it? No. Do I want to? No. Do I care? Yes I do.
So just because I am not a crusader like you are, trying to save the masses, I am trying to do the best for 5 very important people in my life. The most important as far as I am concerned. And when they are faced with a threat I will move mountains if I have to in order to keep them safe, protected and secure.
So no it is not that I am less than interested. I simply have my focus someplace else. And if the lives of my children are going to be filled with turmoil, I feel that it is best that I spend as much time as I can crating memories of happiness, love, and security so that they can get through any trials they may have in life with something to reflect back on. Because honestly, if more people in the world had that attitude then there would not be any need to be out there as a crusader against government conspiracies and secret plots to destroy the nation.
So I want to know, am I wrong in my approach? Should I be all worried? Go to the extreme? Buy guns and ammo, have a garden, raise chickens? What is enough, what is too much?
4 comments:
Yeah um lets not let Brent read your blog this week, lol. He would have a whole new list of things to worry about. Food Storage is what I try to direct his energy into, its nice to not have to go to the grocery store and have it all on hand.
Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured....some prophet dude said that. So I guess that means, 'nuff said.
The truth is this: There have been worse administrations (yes tis true), worse economic times, worse atrocities then 911 (however horrible)in the world, and there will always be conspiracy nuts, anti-government groups and there will always be that guy on the corner with that sign that says the world is coming to an end.
You can be prepared--and that's smart. But living your life in constant fear and obsessing everyday that someone is doing something horrible to you without your knowledge, or that the government is going to collapse around you is ridiculous as it is counterproductive. If everyone withdrew their money from banks it would undermine the economy. You horde your money---you hurt the economy. Living in fear never helped anyone.
So I say live you life. Take precautions, go vote if you don't like Obama, be smart and be prepared. Worry about things you can do something about. That guy is is gonna get an ulcer.
Here are my thoughts and they are from the scriptures. 1) "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength." 2) "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear".
You can only do what you can or you'll be in a lot of hurt financially, physically, and family time trying to do too much. However, if you are able to prepare to the best of your ability you won't have to worry.
Like M it's nice having a food storage.
Post a Comment