After returning home from Bear Lake we discovered that while we were gone we had a few new guests living on the property. A VERY large black wasp nest was hanging in our front tree. These are not normal wasps, they are FREAKING MEAN! I know because we had one several years ago.
When I looked them up on the web this is what I found:
The Bald faced Hornet is a black wasp with white lines across its abdomen. This wasp is also very aggressive when provoked. Bald Faced Hornets build their nests on structures or hang them from the branch of a bush or tree. The nest is a grayish paper nest that often is said to look like a 16" softball or in some cases a basket ball. The protective paper envelope contains two or three levels of egg chambers inside and numerous(150 to 300)workers. These nests must be approached with caution. Protective clothing is recommended when treating a nest. As with Yellow Jackets, a Bald Faced Hornets nest must be injected with an insecticidal dust or treated with wasp freeze to be effectively eliminated.
With that knowledge I made sure extreme caution was taken. We waited until around 11 at night, Brittany outfitted with a high powered flashlight and Alexis and I armed with 3 cans of Black Flag Wasp spray. We crept like 3 ninja's in the night up to the tree, Brittany flashed the light on the hive, with a bit of hesitation (she thought they would come out to get her) and then BAM! Alexis and I started to spray aiming for the hole in the hive. As bees started to drop out we knew we were doing our job. All three cans were unloaded on that hive. It is still hanging in the tree, as a warning to the rest of the bees.. Don't Even Think About It!
3 comments:
Freak that is huge, betcha Brent will want the hive.
I am very proud of the Brave Ninjas!
Wow, that is a huge hive.
OMG that sucker's huge! I wouldn't have dared go at it with cans of spray!
Post a Comment