Wednesday, January 28, 2009

RSV

Cameron went in for his 2-month check up on January 16th and according to Dr. Zollo, he is doing well. He is in the 75th percentile for his height at 23.7 inch and in the 50th percentile for both weight at 11.5 lbs and head size, 40 cm. He is meeting all the typical milestones and appears to be very happy.
One week later we were back in Dr. Zollo’s office because Kinderland Daycare called me and said that he was throwing up, now honestly, this kid can spit up non-stop and he is still gaining weight and is very happy… how can you tell the difference between his spitting up and throwing up I am not sure... it all looks the same to me. They also told me that they had a child in the nursery with RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) and because Cameron had been coughing, they had to call and let me know. So I packed up at work and took him to the Dr.
Sure enough, he was showing signs of RSV also. Evidentially RSV is a very contagious airborne virus and can be very harmful to children under the age of two. It can last up to 3 weeks and there are currently 3-4 different strains out there, so just because you get it once you still have a few more chances to get it again. Cameron was starting to wheeze and sounds like a little purring kitten when he breathes, two indicators that he has a respiratory illness. It’s not good that he has RSV, but luckily, we caught it early. I have taken him to the American Fork Hospital Respiratory Center to be suctioned out (they get all of the extra built up mucus); Lamar got some evil looks from Cameron when he was done with this fun little procedure. Cameron sounds a lot better, he still has a little wheezing and coughing but overall he seems better. The bad thing is he can’t return to daycare until he is tested again and gets a negative test result. We will find out more on that tomorrow.

You decide, spit up or throw up?

6 comments:

Shamelessly said...

Well... um... at least he seems ok with it. I think that's all that matters right?? I mean if you're gonna puke(or spit-up) on yourself and still be down, well then who's to say otherwise?

Another reason to wait till he's two to hold him :)

Laura said...

I'm so sorry that Cameron got RSV. I've always been so scared of that. Braxton had asthma and we had to use a nebulizer on him - will you have to do that with RSV? I think I do remember that RSV season is between January and March - sometimes even into April.

The Ridgeways said...

Poor Cameron. I am doing much better so happily will take some Cameron duty!! Tomorrow is good for me and so is the next day, oh and the next day, oh and um yup that one too!

I can't believe you caught that on video way too funny!

Jennifer said...

I'm with Shamelessly on this one...
I think it's probably just spit-up. I know I'd be crying if it was throw-up.

Best of the Best said...

I can't believe you posted that video. You crack me up!!! No wonder why I enjoy your blog. :)

Christy said...

so sorry about little Cameron. He is so cute! Kylie had RSV when she was a baby and we had to give her breathing treatments. Although, she is the only one of my 3 kids that doesn't have asthma. go figure. Good Luck! :)

Add other items