I started working for WordPerfect when I was 21 (way back in 1989) and shortly after getting hired my department moved to the Lindon facility. Other than the time my team moved to the Provo East Bay location for a year, and the year I took off to be home with Kyle, I have been at this facility; that is 19 years if your counting. It has become a second home.
I have worked in almost every department over those years, I have had a desk in every building at one time or another, I have see the facility bursting at its seams with trailers and tents in the parking lot for overflow, to completely consolidating to one building... the changes in software packaging over the years has made a huge impact on the amount of space needed.
This site is located about 15 minutes from my daycare, my mom's, my house and most shopping and eating establishments. It was a great location! Yes I said "was".
This past spring we signed a contract to do work for Provo Craft. Part of the agreement was that we would move into their facility with a 5 year lease. The timing worked well, because the lease on the Lindon facility was coming to an end; with rumors that their was no desire to renew. It was a very good thing Provo Craft came on board when they did.
The "new" site in now located in Springville about 15 minutes-ish farther south, if your on the freeway on a clear sunny day and there is no traffic (I will get back to this in an minute.) It is a large building that has been reorganized to meet our needs and our existing clients, in addition to the PC work. The ModusLink logo has gone up, walls have been painted the company colors of Barney purple and 80's teal (I am not joking about that). It is not bad, we have a large open area for Business Management with windows across the front. I just need to stand up and I can see outside, so it's almost an a improvement over the Lindon facility.
I say almost because I had no idea that I HATE freeway commuting! Hate it! no that may not hard enough, Despise, Loathe, and Detest (all at the same time) driving on the freeway!!! I think it is primarily due to the new CORE construction project that started just a few weeks after moving. As a result this is what my average commute looks like every time there is a fender bender...

Well to make matters worse, remember that Willy Wonka incident, well I still have not had my speedometer fixed (It is around $450 to get it done) and so when the traffic looks like this, my speedometer looks like this:

No comments:
Post a Comment