Apparently turning 40 is a big deal in the medical world. I guess it is the magical age when EVERYTHING starts to fall apart in some way.
A few weeks after turning 40 I had a sinus infection. I put off dealing with it and as usual I ended up with an ear ach that would only go away with an antibiotic. I broke down and made an appointment.
Turns out that the Dr I ended up seeing is one that treated me about 8 years ago for several things and after agreeing with me that I had an ear infection, and a sinus infection that I would need antibiotic. Great we are on the same page… I am good to go, but no there is more!
He pulls up my medical history on the computer in front of him and takes a look, then looks at me, back at the computer, and then back at me "Says here that you are 40 years old, but you don't look 40." "Why thank you, but it's true, I am." I replied with a big smile on my face. "Well then let's see..." He said and turns to continue looking at the screen.
The rest of the appointment went something like this:
When was your last tetanus shot? **NOTE: Never have a blank look in your face when this is asked! "OK, we will get you one of those before you leave here today." My smile is now no longer on my face.
"How about your Hepatitis immunizations, have you had that? Again blank look… and he adds that too.
"Mammogram, what is your phone number, I am going to have the hospital give you a call and schedule that for you." I reluctantly provide my phone number.
"When was your last PAP?"
Quickly I reply "Oh wait, I know this one, my follow-up appointment after my son was born in January." I said proudly knowing the answer. He smiled and said "Well then you're good on that one for now."
While looking at the computer screen he said with a concerned look on his face, "Says here that we had you on a prescription for depression medicine, how is that going?" I reply "I got rid of my depression." The Dr smiles and shakes his head slowly. Then looks up and said "did you get a divorce?" with a smile I answered "Yes." He returns to looking at the screen than quickly turns and says, "You know, we are not all like that, there are a few good men out there!" "I am sure there are, I just have not found one."
He smiles and goes back to the computer screen then slowly looks up at me, "You said you just had a baby?" With a shrug I reply "Parting gift." He looks down, again with a small smile on his face and shaking his head.
Not looking up from the screen he asks "I am going to guess that your cholesterol is down too, but just in case we are going to schedule you for a blood draw to check that too."
"Well Lore, looks everything else is good and it sounds like you are doing very well. We will get you that prescription for antibiotics, get you your shots, schedule you for a blood draw and a mammogram is there anything else you need while you are here? "With a questioning look I replied "Isn't that enough for one visit?"
So for all my younger friends I have a bit of advice. Try to make it to the Dr before you turn 40!
3 comments:
Really? Mammograms after 40? I am not going to get an ear infection ever. Sorry.
If I may be so bold my dear. I'm 60 and am often mistaken for 45 - 50. I do so love those people. So you have that going for you. You are beautiful. ( I can say that cuz I be sixteen hundred miles away and we may never meet ) Now, down to business. When one turns 40 one begins to rot. This process continues like it or not and at varing speeds..Good luck!
Yes not all of us men are like that and there are a few good ones out there. The problem is that some good females and some good males seldom seem to get together. We somehow get sidetracted. The search goes on.
It is not fun turning 40. My doctor wants to keep giving me tests for those who are 50+. I have to keep reminding him that I'm not as old as Reed and then he drops the subject. Do I look 50? I hope not.
Post a Comment