Monday, November 3, 2008

Just ask!

Asking for help has ALWAYS been one of my biggest problems. I am not sure why but I have always had that “I can do it myself, and if not I will hire someone who can!” attitude. I feel that if it is something that I want done, like having my yard look nice and mowed for example, then I can pay someone to do it. If it was something I NEED, than I evaluate how much do I really NEED it, and usually decide that I can do with out.
Here in lies my issue. I have had so many people, friends, neighbors, and family all ask if there is anything they can do for me. They all want to help me out in some way and I just have a blank look, I am fine. I don’t need anything. I can still clean my house, make meals, go shopping… I am good. My basics are covered, and yet they keep asking like no one believes me. Seriously, I am ok right now. I know they are worried that I am doing too much and I even heard a comment recently that I am depriving others of the blessings that they would receive if I let them provide me service. Really?
So I have thought LONG and HARD about this and here is a list of the things that I can use help with, some NEED to be done others I just WANT done. Feel free to share the list:

1. Rake the leaves in my yard and haul them away. Please do a good job I am picky.
2. The fire alarm batteries need to be changed. I have one that is chirping at least once a day. It bugs me. I have the batteries already.
3. A few play dates with Kyle while I am off work so I can take a nap with the baby.
4. Lay a piece of carpet in the boy’s room. The window bench has been removed, I just need the carpet cut to put in the hole. Oh and if you can get a piece of carpet pad to go under that would be nice. I have the matching carpet.
5. While I am in the hospital or home I need someone to take my Tahoe to the dealership to have the front differential replaced. I have the money to cover it, just not the time to schedule it and take it in.
6. The Tahoe also needs an Oil, Lube and Filter. I normally take it to Grease Monkey; again this is more a time issue than money issue.
7. The sprinkler next to my new tree needs to be extended and buried.
8. The edging around the new tree needs to be fixed.
9. I need someone to verify that my sprinkler line is free from water so it won’t freeze this winter.
10. The boy’s room needs to be painted; I believe I have multiple requests for this one already.
11. The Halloween bins in my garage need to be put out into my shed.
12. The paddle boats need to be drained and covered with a tarp. I have the tarp.
13. For the person looking for extra blessings, the junk around my shed: wood, old pond form, other “stuff” needs to be cleaned up and hauled off to the dump.
14. For that person who wants double extra blessings, the railroad ties need to come out and the dirt leveled for grass next spring. This one can wait till spring, but I will take offers now.
15. A personal shopper to do returns. I have several items from Target, Wal-Mart and an on line site that need to be returned that I keep setting aside and forgetting about.
16. Bathrooms... I hate cleaning bathrooms, and I just can’t bend over, anyone who wants to tackle that feel free. It will kill me to let someone else do it, but if it provides someone with blessings, who am I to say no?
17. The only other thing I can think of is, if you are in good health, and have clean hands, feel free to come hold the baby and watch Kyle while I take a nap.

This is why when people ask if there is anything that they can do I look at them with a blank look. Realistically I don’t expect more than one or two of any of this to actually be done by anyone but me (or the person I hire). So don’t feel guilty that you have not taken on this challenge. But I am going to bet that once this gets out, people stop asking what they can do for me!

8 comments:

Tara said...

I will do the bathrooms. Halloween bins and take the car to the grease monkey. Just let me know when!

Pam's Blog said...

Wow! You did think about it for a long time. I hear ya, never ending projects.

Lovin' your blog. And all the good stuff you write. Cute Halloween picts.

Heffalumps and Woozles said...

Okay...I am so with ya on that whole extra blessings thing. I am of the opinion that I don't want to be anyone's project, let alone the wards...so in that sense, I'm fine, we are all fine.

And whenever you need a nap, I will steal Kyle and the baby...letting you get some sleep is definitely something I can help with. :D

The Ridgeways said...

I got the tahoe differentially thing a ma bob and the beeping smoke detectors!

Sweet!

Just what I need a real LIST, you so should do this once a month or so!

Christy said...

I'm feeling baby holding. (That's bad for me to take up with the easy, fun one.) Although, if we head to the dump I'll come get your stuff - it's usually a spring thing for us, so if the stuff is still there, I'm all over it. I love your list. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori, take that sprinkler line worry right off your list. Keith took care of it a few week ago, without asking you.

Jennifer said...

AWESOME list.

Jillybeanz said...

Lore, I actually am not here to offer my services. My time is spread thin as it is. I just wanted to drop in and tell you how much fun I have reading your blog. My sister and I laughed so hard at your "Just ask" post in particular, because you are just so real. You tell it how it is and it made us giggle. Thank you for keeping us entertained and keeping it real.

Add other items