Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It’s a BOY and a….

Well, before we get to that let me tell you about my Dr Appointment this month.
I went in for an ultrasound on July 3rd to my OBGYN, the same one I have had since I was 17 or 18 years old, Dr Steven Dewey. Now I want to say I love this guy, we get along well, he sits and talks to me and I do not have an issue with him, BUT (you knew that was coming) he is not the best at predicting a baby’s gender. He told me that Courtney was a boy…. for the record, she’s not, so I was worried about this appointment.
My best friend, Melanie, decided that she was coming along; I swear she can read a gender on an ultrasound better than a technician can. She was responsible for getting a VHS tape and a DVD (just in case the ultrasound machine has caught up to modern day technology). I had my Tahoe in for a full detail, so she came by and picked me up, we ran to get it, and this is when she realized she forgot her assignment. I was to meet her back at work so she could drop off her car to her husband. As I went in to pay for my truck she took off to Target to get the tapes and raced through the store. I hear it was an amazing feat. She met me back at work and we made it to Provo to my appointment in time.
We walk in and Dewey thinks Melanie is there to see him, she had a “procedure” done two weeks prior, and you could see the panic on his face. She reassured him she was there for support for me.
We go right into the room, the suspense is killing me, I hop up on the table, reveal my big ole belly and he squirts on freaking COLD gel. As we start watching the monitor Melanie asks if he has the tape recording, he assures her he is. Then we look… there’s an arm, a head, a heart beat… all good to know but what is it! Then we see the little parts… IT’S A BOY!! Yea!

So I am happy, he gives me a few pictures, hands the tape to Melanie, wipes off my belly and says “see you next month.”
I leave happy as can be.

That night when my friend Juliet stops by I show her the pictures and she asks.. “are you sure there is only one, looks like two to me” I get Melanie on the speaker phone, and she hesitates to say anything and rushes over to my house (she had been thinking the same thing). We have a pow-wow about how the appointment went, slightly rushed, not much detail… so we decide to watch the tape to see if we can see anything there… the tape is empty.
At this point we are thinking up conspiracy theories. Was he trying to protect me, he is aware of my situation, did he not notice, why did he not record anything and say he was… the plot thickened.
The only way to solve the mystery was to pullout the ring. You know when you hold the ring over your belly and it tells you what you’re having, we did that…. multiple times. Whenever either Juliet or Melanie held the ring it said a Boy AND a Girl, when I did it, just a boy. So now what? The next day was the 4th of July; I can’t call my Dr and tell him to double check! So I am stuck thinking about the possibility of TWO floating around in there. We decide that Fetal Photo is the only way to get a second opinion.
Melanie was on the phone within minutes of them opening the next morning, they were booked… great now I have to wait another whole day to find out. Saturday rolled around and Juliet, Melanie and I were off to the Provo Town Mall to find out.
Turns out Dewey gives them a lot of business; great that did not make me feel any better. The technician takes the three of us into the room, has me hop up on the table; reveal my big ole belly and she squirts warm gel on my tummy… ahhh, nice!
She looks around, we sit in anticipation… one or two, one or two… then she tells us… looks like a little boy and… that is all. Just one little boy. I am sure that the sound of relief that came out of me was huge. She made us a nice little video of him waving his hand, moving his foot, turning around. It was perfect. Now I had something to show the kids and let them see their little brother.
In the end I would have been happy with two (stressed out, but happy), but I sure am glad that I am having only one, and that it is a little boy. Now to think of baby boy names, his middle name will be Lee, I have decided that so far. Kyle’s middle name is Paul, after Donovan’s dad, so to be fair; this one will have my dad’s name. Any suggestions on a first name?

7 comments:

Laura said...

Congrats, "It's a boy" Wow. We always like a first name that starts with the first letter of the last name. Managed with two of our kids to do that. How bout Brighton, Bridger, Buck, Bronco, Benson, Brittain, Brick (just kidding - the kid next to Braxton in the hospitals name was Brick - we had a good laugh at that one). Or its fun to name them after prophets: Kimball, Spencer, Benson, Hinckley, McKay, Ammon, Hyrum, Parley, etc.

Best of the Best said...

I'm glad I was proved wrong and that you are having a boy. I still think you are missing a girl. As for the first name, go with a name that starts with a vowel so his initials spell out a word:)
Luana

Laura said...

OK Lori,
going along with Luana's idea to make the initials mean something have the first name start with M. That way the initials will be MLB. He would be a great shortstop in the Major League Baseball. A guy that works for me is Travis Wayne Austin. TWA-now not such a good airline. LOL
-peace out, David
Hmmmm, theres Mark, Mike, Matt, Maddox, Martin, Malcolm, Mitch, Moron(jk), Mahonrimorianchamer (spelling?) Ill get back to you on that and others.

The Ridgeways said...

Hey I have a starring roll in a blog post how fun. We are crazy aren't we. I laughed reading about all our fun that weekend. Love Davids suggestion of MLB for initials that is hilarious. Mahonrimorianchamer would not be my first choice however, I like Dean but again not with Lee. Dean Lee sounds like sausage. So that leaves my other favs, Kamden, Max, Mark, Micah, Kade, Kody.

SuziQ said...

Love the Max suggestion, such a cute yet can be grown-up name. My boy name for Averie was Jackson, Jack for short...kinda overused now, though.

Congratulations on the boy news! It's nice to get what we want once in a while, huh? :)

Best of the Best said...

Melanie's comment just gave me a couple more ideas that might work with Lee. How about Brad or Frank? :) If you do name him Mahonrimorianchamer, you would have to have another boy and name him Jared. I'll stop now. -Luana

Pam's Blog said...

Congrats Lore! I'm excited that it's a boy. But I am still nervous for you, now you're sure that there is only one little guy in there right?

Add other items